A Garden of Mercy in Adelaide
For some twenty years members of the Order in South Australia have supported the development the community garden on the site of the former Adelaide Gaol in inner Adelaide. The garden was formerly tended by prisoners until the gaol closed in 1988.
Founded in 1841 the Adelaide gaol was one of the last of the colonial prisons and the scene of many hangings prior to the abolition of capital punishment in SA in 1976. Mercy Sister Sister Janet Mead and a dedicated group of helpers redeveloped the garden as part of the works of the Adelaide Day Centre for homeless persons. Over the intervening years the garden has grown and is now a source of fruit and vegetables and flowers for the luncheon program at its Moore Street premises in the Adelaide CBD. Food hampers are also delivered each week to many families and people in acute need.
The garden is cared for by clients of the Adelaide Day Centre and at present there is a waiting list for volunteers. The Order has for many years provided funds for equipment for the garden. These funds have been supplemented by matching grants from the Macquarie Bank Foundation through the dedicated involvement of Confrere Nicholas Pyne. The latest contribution from the Order was two commercial lawnmowers.