PLEASE HELP – Health & humanitarian crisis in Timor-Leste following devastating floods
Intense rain and storms have resulted in devastating flooding in Timor-Leste. The streets of the capital Dili now resemble canals and flooding and landslides has decimated villages.
As a result, thousands have had to take refuge and 27 Timorese have been reported dead, with this number expected to rise as information filters in from the remote villages that are currently cut off.
The flooding hit the country just as Dili went under an extended lockdown to deal with a spike in COVID-19 numbers. However, as people fled the flooding to take shelter with friends and family members and thousands have moved into temporary refugee centres, COVID-19 cases are expected to soar.
With building and roads destroyed, an expected surge in COVID-19 cases and limited access to clean water and food for thousands of Timorese, the flooding is only the beginning of this disaster.
- Timor-Leste is facing health and humanitarian crisis following devastating flooding
- COVID-19 cases are expected to surge in a country with limited medical resources
- Remote areas will be disproportionately affected – infrastructure is damaged and they will have less access to healthcare, fresh water and food
Volunteers and staff at the Order of Malta Embassy in Timor-Leste have provided some initial aid and are evaluating needs of the communities.
The Australian Association, who is already active in Timor-Leste through the Order’s medical clinic, has committed funds to the recovery effort. However we are aware that more than this will be needed urgently to assist the country’s immediate aid effort and longer-term recovery.
Please consider a tax-deductible donation to our Natural Disaster Fund to assist the Timorese people affected by this disaster in these unprecedented times.
Donations can be made using the following methods:
- ONLINE: Using our secure Payment Portal
- DIRECT DEPOSIT: Account: 44888 1897, BSB: 083 453 (please email email@example.com, for receipting and record purposes)
- POST: Cheques made payable to ‘The Order of Malta’ and sent to Order of Malta, PO Box 79, Caringbah, NSW 1496
Thank you for support. Together we can assist our Timorese neighbours during this devastating time.